I'm not a stickler for manners, I just really (REALLY) like them. I get all red and flustered if Eldest forgets her 'Please' or 'Thank-you'. But I can't stop there, I can't - my brain won't let me.
- Crossing on the stairs, be polite and blumin wait
- Eating before everyone is at the table
- Taking the first piece of cake for yourself
- Washing your hands before eating
- Having to ask twice 'Who is calling please?' - I really hate that one.
- Letters from people you've never met that start 'Dear Lorna/Betty/Louise' - If we haven't met previously, my name is Mrs. Mojo, thank you very much.
I have however noticed a new thing lately, I am not sure how or why I noticed it but I really do it.
These have all been said while angry.
- Eat your dinner please!
- Mind your business, thank you very much!
- I will have less of that back chat thanks!
- Mr. M - will you please fuck off.
- Eldest - WILL YOU PLEASE BE QUIET.
So why the fark do some children seem to not have or use the simplest most effective way to show gratitude. It is easy enough to blame the parents, but the chances are just like me and thee, these parents have also sat for hours going -
'And what do we saaaaaay Ermintrude? P..P..Puuuhhh...Puullll, Puuurrrrlllleeeeee'
'PERLICE' - Confused smile from confused child.
'No we say Puuuurrrlleeeeaassseeeeeeee,' by this time we are over parenting. Over enunciating every word, and playing the brilliant parent role to absolutely no one, because no one is there you fucking muppet.
If you'd like to see my example of 'Thhhhh (while spit is leaping off a desperate parental tongue, you'll have to wait till I feeling a bit more ranty.)
The children of these/we/me/you/us/united parents just choose to forget sometimes, they choose to drop the glorious 'Thank-You' or 'Please' for no reason that I can fathom.
I say we rise up!! RISE UP!!! And fight for these simple words. We might not be able to give our children giant bank accounts, huge houses, safety and comfort for their whole lives.
But what we can give them, what we can instill in our beautiful children is that a 'Please' or a 'Thank-You', will cost nothing to say and it might just change someones day. Also just bloody do it.
Let me just do something nice here for you dear reader. It doesn't happen often. I'm gonna do it anyway....